Build the Foundations for Your Literacy Block in Years 3-6 - Rockhampton
In-person workshop - ROCKHAMPTON Nov 3rd, 2023
Date: November 3rd, 2023
Location: Rockhampton Grammar School
Time: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Price: $349 (plus gst)
Early years teachers have been on a journey towards structured literacy for several years now. Many schools have seen significant growth in student literacy outcomes by shifting to explicit, structured teaching of reading and writing. However, upper primary teachers (Years 3-6) have not had the same support to make this shift. It is time for that to change.
'Build Foundations for Your Literacy Block in Years 3-6' is a full-day workshop designed to equip teachers with the introductory, yet critical knowledge about how our language works and some simple instructional routines that you can use in your classroom the very next day.
Introduction - Explore the elements of instruction that are critical for strong reading and writing development in Years 3-6 and learn about the structure of an upper primary literacy block.
Part 1 - How Words Work
Build your understanding of the lenses through which we view words including morphology and etymology. Learn a simple routine for spelling instruction
Part 2 - Building Strong Sentences
Consolidate your understanding of key concepts about sentence structure (syntax) and learn a routine for daily, low variance syntax instruction to help your students gain control of their writing.
Part 3 - Working at Text Level
Grow your understanding of how to teach and assess comprehension through rich texts. Experience a whole class text level reading lesson that you can take away and apply across the curriculum.
Never again do you have to feel lost answering the questions:
- What's the difference between phonology, orthography, morphology and etymology (or knowing how to put that knowledge into practice)
- Why is (insert word here) spelled this way?
- How can I help my students learn to read and spell unknown words?
- What's the plan to help struggling students learn to read and spell at word level?
- What's the difference between a compound and complex sentence?
- How can I improve my students' writing?
- What's an embedded clause?
- What the difference between a clause and a phrase?
- How do I teach syntax without feeling overwhelmed?
- How do I teach comprehension so that it works?
- How can I integrate reading and writing in my literacy block?
Imagine how it would feel to be more confident in teaching about sentence structure, about how words work and to know how to equip your students with knowledge so that they can tackle text level reading and writing at a deeper level.
But we know that 'one and done' is rarely effective, so your ticket price to this workshop includes 12 month's access to our professional learning membership, The Evergreen Teacher, where you will find a range of courses to further your knowledge and have access to monthly live group coaching to help you nut-out those tricky questions that inevitably arise as you teach. You will also receive our language and lesson reference pack containing reference cards and lesson outlines so that you always have the information you need right at your fingertips.