Practical Phonics for the Early Year's Classroom - In-Person Burnie
Join me for a day of hands on, practical learning around the key elements of systematic synthetic phonics. This low-cost workshop is for all early year's teachers and anyone else supporting students to acquire the foundational skills of literacy - phonics, decoding and early spelling.
You will walk away from this workshop with an understanding of the critical elements of simple yet strong, explicit phonics teaching including:
- The theoretical and research informed foundations of structured literacy
- How to teach phoneme/grapheme correspondences (letter sounds)
- How to teach children to blend words for reading
- How to teach children to segment words for spelling
- How to put this to work to read and write at sentence level
- How decodable texts connect to instruction
- How to assess and monitor growth in student learning
This event is not about a program, but about building an understanding of what explicit, systematic instruction looks like and how you can get the strongest outcomes for your students.
Date: Saturday 27th May, 2023
Time: 9:30am - 2:30pm
Cost: $49 per person + GST (morning tea and lunch provided)
Location: Montello Primary School