Build your Upper Primary Literacy Block on Strong Foundations
You will be equipped with knowledge, lesson plans and ongoing support to create your dream structured literacy block.
October 5th, 2023 - Hobart
October 18th, 2023 - Adelaide
October 30th, 2023 - Cairns
November 1st, 2023 - Townsville
November 3rd, 2023 - Rockhampton
November 16th, 2023 - Burnie
November 25th, 2023 - Albury
One of the biggest barriers to Year 3-6 Teachers embracing structured literacy is a lack of knowledge about language
(because none of us were taught what we needed to know!)
Many schools have seen significant growth in student literacy outcomes in the early years by shifting to explicit, structured teaching of reading and writing. However, upper primary teachers (Years 3-6) have not had the same support to make this shift. It is time for that to change.
- Feeling unsure about how to teach spelling?
- Worried that you don't have the knowledge to help your students go beyond phonics?
- Not exactly sure of the difference between phonics, phonemic awareness, morphology, orthography and etymology? (or how to use this knowledge in practice?
- Looking for an alternate to small group guided reading?
- Spending all weekend planning and preparing instead of spending time with family and friends?
- Do the words syntax, clause, phrase and subordinate make you feel overwhelmed?
- Looking for answers to how to teach comprehension (now that strategies aren't the main element of teaching)?
What you can expect
'Build Foundations for Your Literacy Block in Years 3-6' is a full-day workshop designed to equip teachers with critical knowledge about how our language works and some simple instructional routines that you can use in your classroom the very next day.
Accessible Concept Explanations
Everything will be shared in a way that is accessible, no matter your background knowledge.
Practical, Actionable Strategies
Use what you learn the very next day.
12-months of ongoing support
You will receive ongoing support through 12 months of the Evergreen Teacher membership.
After 30 years of teaching, I was frustrated and jaded, but this has renewed my interest/love and spark. I enjoy teaching reading (and English) again as I can see every child feeling more confident and making progress and, most importantly, wanting to read and write. It's given me the confidence to back up what I'm doing - so Thank you!
Doreen.K. - Classroom Teacher
Our Day Together
Introduction - Explore the elements of instruction that research indicates are critical for strong reading and writing development in Years 3-6 and learn about the structure of an upper primary literacy block.
Part 1 - How Words Work
Build your understanding of the lenses through which we view words including morphology and etymology. Learn a simple routine for spelling instruction
Part 2 - Building Strong Sentences
Consolidate your understanding of key concepts about sentence structure (syntax) and learn a routine for daily, low variance syntax instruction to help your students gain control of their writing.
Part 3 - Working at Text Level
Grow your understanding of how to teach and assess comprehension through rich texts. Experience a whole class text level reading lesson that you can take away and apply across the curriculum.
Never again do you have to feel lost answering the questions:
- What's the difference between phonology, orthography, morphology and etymology (or knowing how to put that knowledge into practice)
- Why is (insert word here) spelled this way?
- How can I help my students learn to read and spell unknown words?
- What's the plan to help struggling students learn to read and spell at word level?
- What's the difference between a compound and complex sentence?
- How can I improve my students' writing?
- What's an embedded clause?
- What the difference between a clause and a phrase?
- How do I teach syntax without feeling overwhelmed?
- How do I teach comprehension so that it works?
- How can I integrate reading and writing in my literacy block?
Grab some free introductory training to get you started
Receive 5 recorded sessions direct to your inbox